Skip to main content

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project.

First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby.

Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request.

Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat would help, but that simply took off the first coat. So we abandoned the tempera paint.

We made a quick run to the store and picked up a can of the cheapest metallic gold spray paint that they had~one coat worked great. Then the kiddos took back over from there.

First they penciled on markings to help them remember where they wanted to paint their stripes.
Then they painted them! They simply painted stripes all around the face and then the beard section. After they finished painting them we helped them add the detail around the eyes with puff paint.

We think they are so cool! I loved the way they turned out!

I was just bummed that I couldn't get Mr. B to *walk like an Egyptian* ;)

Comments

Gwen T said…
Way to go, Lora! Those masks look great! We also use Story of the World history, but you obviously use it much more in depth than we do. :)

I love the pajamas with the Egyptian mask...
Carrie said…
These turned out *amazing,* Lora!!! I'll be bookmarking this post for when we get around to Ancients again!! You rock!! ;)
Thanks, y'all! We are enjoying our history:)
Vickie said…
These look like they'd be fun to do. Now I'm wishing we weren't past King Tut lol I'm also hanging onto the idea for future reference.

Thanks for sharing.
Following from the crew.

Popular posts from this blog

Making Notebooks

Recently I tried out a new craft idea~and it was SO much fun!! And extremely frugal, too. That's always a bonus, right? So here we go:

1. Take your basic composition notebook (purchased at the back-to-school sales for .99 each).


2. Go to your craft supplies and get your Mod Podge ready, along with a good paintbrush.

3. Look through all those scrapbook papers you've been randomly collecting and choose some.

3. After choosing your paper for the cover of your book and trimming it to fit, start *painting* the cover with the glue. Next, give the back of your paper a good coat of glue, too. (I left the binding uncovered so that I could use a contrasting paper there later on).

4. Glue it on! Remember to smooth out any air bubbles under the paper.

5. Flip the cover open and make a few cuts on the corners so that they will fold over nice and neat, then add a little more glue to the edges of the inside cover and a little more to the paper edges.

6. Fold them over and press down. …

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.  
When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.  

I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.  
I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.  
The left side of the door hange…