Skip to main content

Menu Plan Monday

Well, it has been quite a week around here. My brother-in-law has been here since the 22nd. You may have read where I mentioned about his trip and video project. We've had a great week with him here. He was scheduled to leave yesterday on Amtrak out of Birmingham. Since my hubby had a commitment, I filled up the gas tank, loaded up the kiddos and a friend, plus Steve and his *stuff* and headed for B'ham (2 1/2 hours away).

We got all the way there, pulled up to the train station, only to discover that there were no trains coming. Hurricane Gustav struck already. Apparently the particular train he was booked on goes between New Orleans and Atlanta, stopping in B'ham in between. And that train is not leaving the station right now due to the impending storm. So we headed back home again. Needless to say Steven was a little disappointed (I think he's bored with us-ha!).

Although he perked up at the thought that he might be able to jump on a truck with a news team and head for New Orleans. He's still working on that idea. As a back-up plan though he's going to hitch a ride with my sister Kari and our friend Neely who've just arrived this afternoon for a couple of days. That'll get him 3/4 of the way back home.

So right now we've got a houseful of company and we're having fun. It'll probably be this way till Wednesday morning when they're all scheduled to leave (barring a sudden trip for Steve to see the hurricane). Tonight we had a *Goonies* party: we grilled hot dogs, opened some chips, then wrapped up our meal with some of PW's apple dumplings (if you haven't made these, DO IT NOW!) and sat back and laughed our heads off watching one of our favorite movies. We even had a *new* Goonies fan over--and I think Song like it a lot.

Now what am I going to feed everybody for the rest of the week? Let's see.....

Monday: Homemade pizza (by request)
Tuesday: I think we're going out, probably Mexican or maybe Italian
Wednesday: Beef vegetable soup with cornbread
Thursday: baked fish, potatoes, veggie
Friday: leftovers

For more menu plans check out I'm an Organizing Junkie.

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...