17 August 2008

Tuna Cornbread Cakes

OK, if you're still reading after that title, I'll tell you how yummy these little things actually were. They were even a hit with my hubby and sort of a hit with my kiddos (after my hubby renamed them *Larry-Boy Cakes*). They actually look nothing like Larry-Boy, but my kiddos have been on a Larry-Boy kick lately and we'll do almost anything to entice them to eat new stuff. If you like salmon patties, I think you'd really like these.

Tuna Cornbread Cakes
(Southern Living)

1 (6 oz.) pkg. buttermilk cornbread mix
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbls. mayonnaise
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbls. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 (5 oz.) foil pouches herb-n-garlic flavored light tuna
3 Tbls. butter
3 Tbls. vegetable oil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preheat oven to 425F. Stir together cornbread mix and 2/3 cup milk. Pour batter into a lightly greased 8" square pan. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes or just until warm.

Stir together mayo, onions, eggs, parsley, Old Bay seasoning and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl. Crumble cornbread to equal 2 cups. Reserve remaining cornbread for another use. Fold cornbread crumbs and tuna into mayo mixture until well blended.

Shape into 8 patties (3" to 3 1/2").

Melt butter with vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna patties and cook, in batches, 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.


I served these with this sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 tsp. hot sauce (Tobasco)
1 heaping Tbls. of sweet pickle relish

For a great side try these Baked Potato Slices:
1. Slice 2 large baking potatoes thinly
2. Arrange slices on a baking sheet
3. Brush with olive oil
4. Sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
5. Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes, until crisp


Last week's menus went so well. I'm still working on ones for this week. Hopefully I'll be back with those tomorrow!

2 comments:

Song Lee said...

The tuna patties look delicious!!!!

Nancy said...

I LOVE tuna, but I can't find many recipes that I like using it. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!