Skip to main content

The Front Yard Re-Do~Part 1

I optimistically named this *Part 1*, because I know there's more to come! Like I've mentioned before, the landscaping at our new home left a lot to be desired. Pretty much a couple of beds of weeds hiding some bushes in the front.
Vince got inspired though and decided how he could use some of the leftover lumber from the kiddos' new beds to create some lovely new landscaping. I'm very impressed!
Here is a shot of part of the front bed--the part he hasn't redone yet. You can see how neglected it is. Can you even see any of the *real* bushes in there? It's hard to!
To begin the process he had to actually dig out the true plants and set them aside while he dug out the weeds. He took the bed down to just dirt. Then he added some topsoil (free, from my dad's yard!) and then put down that black fabric to keep future weeds out.
Then he took his leftover lumber and began cutting it into three different lengths.

That created a very nice border (there wasn't one before) for the bed. Then he was able to put the plants back into the bed, adding mulch. Here's the first section he did:


He continued on across the first half of the front bed and made it look so great!

Here's the final result for the first phase of the front bed. Isn't it so nice?! I love it! It makes such a difference.

We've run out of the leftover lumber, but it got us off to a good start! Now as soon as this terrible heat wave is over, hopefully the rest of the front bed will get finished.

Comments

Michelle M. said…
Wow that looks great already!
That turned out so nice! He did a fantastic job. How is your garden doing? Did you leave the plants in pots or plant them in the ground? Mine are doing fairly well. We've harvested a lot of peas and have several cucumbers. I have three watermelon plants but so far they are not budding :( So, I'm not sure what the outcome will be on them.

Heather
Thanks for the nice comments on the landscaping!

Heather~
Our garden is doing okay. We did build a small raised bed and transplanted the plants into it. They seemed to do fine with that. We have harvested some tomatoes so far and the jalepenos are ready now, too! My bell pepper plants aren't doing so well though:(
Britt-Arnhild said…
What a wonderful job your husband is doing.
Cheers to him.
That's right Lora. I forgot that you posted about the raised bed. I promise, I do pay attention, I just forgot :(

Heather
Don't worry about it, Heather! My brain is fried from this moving process, I can barely even remember posting about it:)
Betsy Brock said…
Wow! Those are super before and after pictures! Good job, vince!

Popular posts from this blog

Making Notebooks

Recently I tried out a new craft idea~and it was SO much fun!! And extremely frugal, too. That's always a bonus, right? So here we go: 1. Take your basic composition notebook (purchased at the back-to-school sales for .99 each). 2. Go to your craft supplies and get your Mod Podge ready, along with a good paintbrush. 3. Look through all those scrapbook papers you've been randomly collecting and choose some. 3. After choosing your paper for the cover of your book and trimming it to fit, start *painting* the cover with the glue. Next, give the back of your paper a good coat of glue, too. (I left the binding uncovered so that I could use a contrasting paper there later on). 4. Glue it on! Remember to smooth out any air bubbles under the paper. 5. Flip the cover open and make a few cuts on the corners so that they will fold over nice and neat, then add a little more glue to the edges of the inside cover and a little more to the paper edges. 6. Fold them over a

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second c

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left