06 September 2010

A Classic Salad


OK, I am laughing right now because I just realized that the salad I've always called 7-Layer Salad (because that's what the recipe card says and what my mom calls it) actually has 9 layers. That is so funny! This is how my mom has always made it, but apparently we have embellished on the original recipe. That's so like us, too! I guess I should change the name of this salad now that I know the truth. I give you the:

9-Layer Salad

(from my mom)
1 head of iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces
1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
4-5 strips bacon, cooked crisp
1 (10 oz.)) pkg. frozen English peas
*****
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Next spread the mayo over top of the lettuce. Then layer the remaining ingredients, one layer at a time. Seal the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Toss well before serving.
YUMMY!

We'll be enjoying this salad at our Labor Day cookout. I hope you have a great Labor Day, too!

2 comments:

Storybook Woods said...

Would you belive, I have never made a layered salad but I think my family would love it. Thank you for the recipe. Clarice

My Magnolia Cottage by Lori said...

Oh Yummy! This has to be my favorite salad! Your picture has me drooling. I must make this for my family, real soon.

Have a great week Lora!