08 September 2010

What To Do When You're Out of the Canned Stuff

(image by google)

Make your own!

I recently discovered this little recipe (I think it was online somewhere, but I can't remember--if it's yours, please tell me!) and it has been a life saver more than once.

Homemade Cream Soup
1 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
salt & pepper
*****
Combine the butter and flour in a saucepan, then add the broth, milk and seasonings. Cook on med-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is blended and thickened. (You could also add in a small amount of minced mushrooms, chicken, celery, etc., to make it a distinctive flavor). Makes the equivalent of 1 can of cream soup.


Now go whip up that casserole you've been craving!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! This is a really great recipe to have. There have been so many times that I was going to make a casserole for dinner only to realize I didn't have the cream of chicken soup that I thought I did. Thanks Lora!

Amber said...

THIS IS FANTASTIC! There is nothing worse than realize you are out of a staple item! Thanks!

Angela said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I would actually prefer to make my own to avoid the "mystery" ingredients in the canned stuff. Do you find it works just as well in recipes? We have several favorites that rely on the canned soups.

Thanks again!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Angela~
So far, every recipe I've tried this in has turned out very well. I've been really happy with it!