Skip to main content

The Weekly Wrap-up: a Trolley, a Birthday and Co-op

Can I just say, I am so glad to wrap this week up! Not that it's been all bad, but it's sure been a doozy!

Monday we had probably the best Monday of school since...I can't even remember. It was great: we got started on time, got all of our subjects finished, the kids had good attitudes, the list goes on and on... I wish every day could be that good!

In Bible we finished our month's study in Character Sketches I on *Orderliness* this week. I hope that these character studies will stick with the kids for years to come. Really, we are just scraping the surface this year because there's so much more in the books but much of it is just *too old* for them right now. I hope to go back in the years to come and go more in-depth with them.

Math is going well with both kiddos. While it's not The Princess' fave subject, she is really doing great with moving right into multiplication. I love that Horizons laid such a solid foundation for learning multiplication!

We are plugging along with grammar, but I am really hoping for something much more interesting next year. Still doing research on that! Feel free to weigh in on that in the comments:) Mr. B and I are liking his new grammar book for this semester much better. It's Language Lessons for Little Ones 2, although a lot of it is review for him it is very Charlotte Mason and incorporates art, etc. to make it more interesting.

We have a little growing experiment going on with our history. We began this a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think I've mentioned it. We planted some lima bean seeds in two different containers, one being marked *famine*. One bowl is receiving water regularly, the one marked *famine* not so much. Ironically, I think we over-watered the regular bowl and the *famine* bowl has been growing much better...haha We remedied that this week though and things are looking better:) This little experiment ties into what we've been learning about ancient Egypt and the famine they experienced there.

(bowl getting regular watering)

(our *famine* bowl)


Tuesday came and we realized quickly that it needed to be a field trip day. Let's just suffice it to say that it is a daily challenge having two households merging together and sometimes you just need to get out.

We had an awesome day though! We rode our local trolley and visited their shop~you can read more about that field trip here. After that we took a driving tour of our local historic district, then grabbed some lunch and headed to our local nature center (a family fave!), then we wrapped up our day playing at the park. Pure family therapy!!

(trolley ride)

(at the nature center watching a green snake eat a cricket)

(nature scavenger hunt)

(crafting/coloring in the discovery room at the nature center)


(at the park)

Wednesday was one of those days where I was ready to throw in the towel~or at least spend the day napping. Just being honest... I feel like I'm on a roller coaster these days due to our living situation and this week was probably the result of a build-up of frustration with our lack of regular schedule and space. And that's all I have to say about Wednesday...:)

Thursday was Vince's birthday~yea! We started the day at Denny's getting Vince's free birthday breakfast. Then we came home to finish making his birthday cake~a new recipe for Black Forest cake. We really just spent the day doing things together as a family.

The weather was wonderful and the kids enjoyed some great outdoor time. They got very creative and made a *museum* with a musical performance area in the backyard. They charged .25 for *museum* admission and .10 for the musical performance....a lesson in entrepreneurship!
I did manage to sneak in a history lesson during the outdoor playtime. We read our chapter and they did their map work outside~it really was beautiful weather! Our lesson was on the Assyrians and afterward the kiddos built a Lego Assyrian which turned out very cute.

Friday finally came~thank goodness! It was our first day of Spring co-op classes for with our homeschool group. This Spring we are only have 2 hours of classes and the kids are taking a couple of fun ones: Lego Action Contraptions and Crafts. Both of them were big hits! I'm a helper in them, so I got to have fun with them, too.


After co-op the kids and I went to the park for a quick picnic lunch and a good leg-stretch on the playground. Then we were off to our new library for a tour and some activities.

The librarian gave us a tour, read to the kids, had some crafts and snacks and also a fun scavenger hunt to help them learn about the Dewey Decimal system. The kids had a great time!

By the time we got home I was entirely wiped out! I *handed* them over to Vince and literally crashed on the bed for a couple of hours. I think I could have slept through the rest of the afternoon and night, but I dragged myself off the bed for a while. And here I am:) Now I'm off to bed again. Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday!

Have a great weekend!!

Comments

Phyllis said…
What a beautiful week you have had! Loved reading about it.
Unknown said…
Fun, fun week! LOVE that you got in so many different kinds of learning! Cute smiles from the kiddos too! Stopping in from the Weekly Wrap-up!

Jessy
Jen@Scrapingirl said…
What a fun week you had!! But I agree with you, in wishing every Monday was like the past one. I've NEVER had a Monday go as smooth as this one.
Ellen said…
Hi Lora! Isn't it funny when we have a day like your Monday, we think, "Ah, so THAT'S what it's supposed to be like!" and then everything goes back to normal the next day?? :-)

Lots of nifty things going on at your place. Enjoy the beautiful weather AND the naps!
Looks like you all had a great week. Our weather was nice too and we planted some flowers and took a couple field trips. Thanks for stopping by and checking out the Latin. So far we are loving it. I'm a new follower. :)
MissMOE said…
Sometimes a day out is the best choice! Looks like you fit a ton into your week. Hope you get a chance to rest up this weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a