And so I share with you my mom's potato soup recipe. It's a keeper!
1. Melt 2-3 tbsp. butter in a skillet and saute 2 chopped onions and 2 stalks of celery, chopped (I used onion powder and celery salt for my kids).
2. While the veggies are sauteing, peel and dice potatoes. Use enough potatoes to fill a Dutch oven halfway. Cover the potatoes just slightly with water and put on to cook.
3. After the onions and celery are sauteed, add 1 can of chicken broth; let simmer 20 minutes.
4. When potatoes are done, leave water in and partly mash them. When the broth mixture is finished cooking add it to the potatoes and stir well.
5. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cook about 8 minutes longer.
6. Add 1 quart half & half and stir. Soup will be thin; let this simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring often.
7. While this is cooking, fry 1/2 lb. of bacon very crisp. Drain well on paper towels.
8. Mix 2-3 tbsp. cornstarch with water and pour into soup, stirring well. This will help thicken the soup.
9. When you are ready to serve the soup, crumble the bacon and sprinkle it on top. You can also add shredded cheese at this point.
*You can also add broccoli or cauliflower to this soup with great results!