Did I already say we're having trouble focusing on school around here? Yep, it happens every year about this time.
Each year I tell myself we're going to do school until the week before Christmas and then December hits and it's just c.r.a.z.y. There's all of the decorations and the music and the holiday movies and nobody wants to think about schoolwork. Not even me:) And for some reason we've all just been so tired and moving slowly in the mornings this week, it's like our bodies are trying to go into hibernation or something.
So I very wisely didn't try to fight it. We sort of *unschooled* this week instead. I was kind of subversive about their learning..heehee
Some of the things we did were:
1. have a *Toss & Tally* tournament
2. do some math drill sheet using our cool new dry erase crayons (they love any excuse to use these!). My daughter actually proclaimed one day "I just love school, especially math!" WHAAA??? Where was my voice recorder when I needed it?!? I would so love to play that back to her day after day:)
3. begin our Jesse tree devotionals--those are just SO good! I tear up nearly every day reading them.
4. tend to our herbs in our light box for our botany study. They are really coming along! Although I want to know if you can tell what is wrong with this picture--leave me a comment if you can!
5. practice kitchen math by making our first batch of Christmas cookies. Yum-O!
6. reading, lots of reading! We are, of course, enjoying our nightly readings in The Advent Book. That is one of our favorite traditions around here. We're also currently reading through The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
7. did a little science experiment using Mr. B's Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit. The results are still in the process, I'll keep you posted:)
8. hung out with our homeschool group for a holiday movie, cookies and cocoa.
So you can see it was a very laid-back week around here. You know how hectic this time of the year gets, so I was glad to have a little extra time to get caught up around the house.
More unschooling is planned for next week!