25 January 2012

Butternut Squash Soup


I tried butternut squash for the first time ever this week and I really did like it!  It's kind of a lot of work peeling, seeding and cutting one up, but it was worth it--and they're super good for you, too.  I really enjoyed this soup recipe that I adapted from one I found on Pinterest.

Butternut Squash Soup

3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried sage
2 to 2-1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
4 cups chicken broth
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 slices of bacon
1/3 cup cream
salt and pepper to taste
*****
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until soft, 4-5 minutes.  Add garlic and sage and saute one minute.  Add squash cubes and saute 5 minutes.  Add the broth and cayenne pepper.  Cover and simmer on low for about 25 minutes.  

In the meantime, fry the bacon crisp and drain on a paper towel; set aside.

Puree the soup, either with an immersion blender (I recommend this) right in the pot or transfer to a food processor or blender in batches.  Return to pot and stir in cream.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  

Serve in bowls with crumbled bacon on top.

Serves 4-6





3 comments:

Hope Filled Living said...

Lora,
This is one of my favorite recipes. I make it all the time. I like the idea of the crumbled bacon on top!
Yummy!
Mary

sbforwood said...

Thanks for the great recipe. I am making it for the second time...I had to substitute chicken broth for beef broth and it still tasted great. I also added some sage I had laying around. Really versatile, really yummy.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

sbforwood~

I'm glad you're enjoying this recipe! I just bought a couple of butternut squash myself b/c I've been craving it:)