Skip to main content

Road Trippin' With the Kiddos


While summer sort of feels like it's winding down a little, it's definitely not over for us.  In fact, we have several road trips coming up before we settle completely into our Fall routine.

And you know what road trips mean, right?  Having plenty of activities for the kiddos!

Before going on any road trip with my family we do the following:

  • Pack them each their own snack bag.  I use insulated lunch-style bags and fill them with all sorts of things in individual servings: crackers, fruit, cookies, veggies, etc.  Don't forget the napkins and plasticware if needed.
  • Allow each child to pack their own toy bag for the trip.  Mine like to use either a small backpack or a tote bag.  I do allow them to choose their own toys, but make sure they include things like the toy they want to sleep with (if I don't do this, I'll regret it later when the fave one is forgotten), a few books to read, a notebook/pad, coloring book and colored pencils or crayons.  
  • Allow each child to choose a couple of favorite dvd's for watching in the car.  We do limit their screen time, but it is a nice alternative for them occasionally (and, let's be honest, it gives mom and dad some downtime...lol)
  • Throw in a few travel games.  Some can be played in the car, some played at our destination.  We have several for the car and you can read more about them here.  This also includes some educational items, such as flash cards or trivia games.
  • Don't forget the pillows and blankets!  Each of my kiddos have their own set of child-sized pillow and matching blanket that my sister made them when they were just babies and they are perfect for the car.  You might think blankets aren't necessary for summertime road trips, but you don't want to take that risk (especially when your hubby likes it cold in the car:).  You can always leave them in the back so they aren't in the way until needed.
  • Pack a family read-aloud books!  We love to read books together and whatever books we are reading at the time, I make sure to throw in.  That way we can read at bedtime, but also get an extra chapter or two read in the car.  For us homeschoolers that also includes our family history book which is in a narrative style.  So we get some schoolwork done on the road, too, and everyone enjoys it.  
  • Don't forget the restaurant coupons!  I always try to look for coupons and freebies for places to eat where we're going.  You can check sites like kidseatfree.org or outtoeatwithkids.com to find deals in the area where you're traveling.
I'm also thinking of trying out this fun little idea for our trips.  

Of course, don't forget to pack some fun stuff for yourself, too!  I love to take my own tote bag filled with magazines I haven't yet had a chance to read, a couple of good books, my planner/calendar (because I'm addicted to it and I can get some planning done on the road), and my fave road trip pillow (it works great as a lap desk or for taking naps:).  

I'd love to hear what goes into your *road trip survival kit*!  

Comments

Erika said…
This is perfect! We're going on vacation next month and I'm planning like crazy. My kids are all little (6,4,2,0) so I've been working on busy bags for them. I've thought of everything on your list except restaurant coupons. I'll add that to my preparation. Thanks!!!
Jennifer said…
I thought having toy bags would help control the clutter. We do it, but they still somehow cover the van floor with stuff during long trips.
Great tips! We've always done the bag of stuff- toys, books, small games, whatever they wanted to take that wouldn't get lost too bad on the trip :) We have never done the read-aloud but I think books on CD would be a great substitute.
Stopping by from the Comments Club.
Anonymous said…
I made sure to have a few new toys and games.

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a