Skip to main content

Fresh Milk & Ice Cream, Anyone?

Like I mentioned on Monday, we are enjoying a spring break of sorts at our house.  That doesn't mean there isn't some learning happening though.

Yesterday we enjoyed a field trip to Chaney's Dairy Barn in Bowling Green, KY.  It was the perfect spring day: not too warm, not too cool, with sunshine.  Absolutely beautiful!

Our homeschool group met there for a tour.  We took a hayride from the ice cream and snack shop over to the farm with the owner himself where he introduced us to his start cow Miss Glimmer.  They gave us a great presentation on dairy cows and how they milk them.  Then we got to have ice cream!

If you live near Bowling Green or you are visiting that area I definitely recommend dropping by Chaney's for some farm fresh ice cream!  It was delicious!  I had the cookies and cream flavor and it was the best I've ever had!  It's also a great place for the kids to play since they have a huge playground in the back.  Our kids played for the longest time.

From June through September they offer 'Ice Cream and a Mooovie' and I am hoping we can head that way some weekend to enjoy an outdoor movie and fun there.











And now I'm off to do some more spring break cleaning that's on my schedule:)  See you on Friday!

*****
Don't miss a thing here at My Blessed Life!  Subscribe by email, 
follow this blog, and "like" the Facebook page today!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...