Skip to main content

End-of-the-Week Wrap {camping, co-op, & a birthday}


It has been another busy week ...thus I am doing this wrap-up on Sunday night instead of Friday afternoon. ;)  You'll forgive me though, won't you?

This week we went camping for two days (and I am still cleaning up the aftermath of said camping trip), got some school work accomplished, enjoyed a family movie night, and celebrated my birthday.  It was a good week.

We've been wanting to go camping since the spring and the right opportunity never presented itself.  Either it was too rainy, or too hot, or we were too busy ...it was always something.  Well, we decided it was now or next year.  So we dug out our gear (that hadn't been used in three years) and headed for the woods.  It really was perfect camping weather and we had a great time getting back to nature.  You can read more about that trip here.

I can't say that we got tons of book work done this week, but there was lots of learning happening.  I actually packed a bag full of school books and took them on our camping trip.  The picture above shows the kiddos doing a little bit of book work ...the only time they did any on our trip.  We just had more fun fishing, catching bugs, hiking, looking for rocks, watching the wildlife, reading, playing games, cooking over the campfire, and just being together.  Frankly, camping is an education in itself.  

When we got back home we did get about a day and half of school in here at home.  Of course, getting back into the groove (that we were barely in to begin with) is always a tad bumpy.  But that's okay, we'll get there.  That's the beauty and flexibility of homeschooling.

I am learning to adjust our new writing curriculum a bit though, especially for Mr. B.  Doing a lesson every.single.day is just too much for him when several other writing activities in other subjects are also happening.  So we have scaled that back a bit and are moving at a little slower pace.  Our other subjects are moving along fairly smoothly however.

On Friday we attended our co-op classes.  We are really having fun this semester in co-op!  This past week we got to meet some sugar gliders and a chinchilla.  They were so much fun!  We also learned about the heart, did a Lego building challenge, and did some chemistry experiments on how acidity changes the color of a chemical.  

Oh--and did I mention that The Princess new fave thing is playing kickball on "recess"?  She is loving it and I'm glad she's getting the opportunity to play some fun team sports like that.  Reminds me of recess when I was a kid:)




Friday ended with pizza and a movie at home.  Vince and I thought it was high time to break out The Princess Bride.  We love that movie so much and can quote nearly the whole thing.  It was fun sharing it with the kiddos.  They loved it, too!

Saturday was my birthday and I so enjoyed having a relaxing family day.  It started with breakfast in bed (scrambled eggs and toast via The Princess), a book reading and a back massage (from Mr. B), lunch out and then cake!  So blessed to have another year!


And another week is wrapped up!  I hope yours was wonderful and that this week is even better!

This post is linked to Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers and Hammock Tracks.  

*****
Don't want to miss a thing here at My Blessed Life?
Subscribe by email today!


Comments

Unknown said…
Camping for two days, meeting some sugar gliders and a chinchilla, your little Princess' new favorite thing is playing kickball during recess, pizza, and a movie at home on a Friday night, and more – This was really a great week for all of you, Lora! And it’s nice that it ended with a lot of happiness for your birthday. I hope it will be the same this year. Enjoy!

Priscilla

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left