15 June 2016

Summer Reading--it's the BEST!

Well, summer is in full swing around here.



School work is completed for 5th and 7th grades, VBS prep has more-than-commenced, vacation anticipation is growing, and there is LOTS of reading happening.

This is our 3rd summer to do our own family reading program.  Yes, we do partake a little in library programs and even some store-sponsored ones, but my kids' favorite (and biggest reading motivator) is the one I put together using internet resources.

You can read all about the basic program here.  This is still the main plan that we follow--hey, it works!



However, this summer, in an effort to help my kids choose more different types of books (thus not spending the entire summer on one single series--not that it's a terrible thing, just trying to add variety) I have also incorporated this reading 'map' found here.  We aren't using this entire program, just the map which has all different genres and types of books suggested.

I like to shake things up :)

And so far, so good.



I also have my own reading goals for the summer.  I love to read and summertime is my time to get lots of it in!

I am loosely following Modern Mrs. Darcy's 2016 Reading Challenge.  So far I have 3 boxes checked off.   Not too bad.

We also have a current family read-aloud (we really enjoy those) which is Pollyanna.  While I am very familiar with the story via Disney, I have never read the book.  So far it's a hit with all of us!


Before I go, I just have to tell you about my favorite book that I've read lately.  I'm still in amazement that I never heard of this book until recently.  It is utterly charming and I absolutely ADORE it: Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster.  My daughter and I have both fallen in love with it and we must share our new love with all of our fellow book-lovers!  Let me put it this way, if you love Anne of Green Gables you will also love this book.





I'd love to hear what you're reading this summer!

No comments: