Skip to main content

Recipe Requests ** UPDATED**

Here are the recipes that some of y'all requested from my menu plan this week. These are two *new* ones for me and I have not yet made them. There have been some...ahem...adjustments in my menu plan this week. But I'm looking forward to making them and I'll definitely let you know what we think after we have them.



Farmer's Casserole

(from Better Homes & Gardens)


3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes

3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese or cheddar cheese

1 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon

1/4 cup sliced green onion

4 eggs, beaten or 1 cup frozen egg product

1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. salt


Grease a 2-quart square baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onions. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish. (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight). Bake uncovered at 350F for 40-45 minutes (or 55-60 minutes if made ahead and chilled) or till center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.


*Huli Huli* Chicken

(from Everyday with Rachel Ray)


1 (4 lb.) chicken, cut in half

Salt

2 cloves garlic, peeled

1 1/2-inch piece ginger, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

3 Tbls. dark soy sauce

3 Tbls. chicken broth

1 Tbls. rice wine vinegar

2 Tbls. frozen pineapple juice concentrate


Loosen the skin of the chicken breast and season underneath with salt. Season the exterior of the chicken with more salt. (I plan to use boneless chicken breasts). Let chicken rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Line a broiler pan with foil and preheat the broiler.With a food processor or blender, finely chopped the garlic and ginger. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, broth, rice wine vinegar and pineapple juice. Process until well combined. Strain marinade into a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid. Discard the pulp.
Blot the excess salt and moisture from the chicken and place halves skin side down on the broiler pan. Broil, turning chicken with tongs every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes, until the raw surfaces have cooked. Continue to cook, turning and basting with marinade every 5 minutes, until well-browned, 20 minutes longer; cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.

**I finally got around to making this. It is very good and we all liked it; however, it was basically a teryaki marinade. So, I probably won't be making it again, since it's easier to just buy a bottle of teryaki marinade pre-made. I will however be broiling more chicken--it didn't heat up my kitchen like using the oven and it tasted great!

Comments

Betsy Brock said…
Thanks, Lora...that chicken really sounds yummy and I bet it will turn out great using the boneless/skinless...which is probably what I would use, too. (always have those in the freezer!)
Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for the post of the recipe. I am so excited to try it.
Angela said…
Yum! Thanks for sharing! The chicken especially intrigues me. I love the ingredients. Hmmmm. May have to try that this weekend sometime. Even with guests. We could make some plain for the kids.
Brenda said…
Thanks for posting your Farmers Casserole recipe - sounds yummy & I can't wait to make it!

It was great to have you stop by my blog!
Nancy said…
MMmmmm...can't wait to try these! THanks!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left