Skip to main content

The Big Reveal

Yea!! We finally got the kiddos' desks repainted! The school/play room is ready for school now. Good thing, too, since we start on Monday:)


We decided on black paint for the metal bases of the desks, but we wanted to get some input from the kiddos on the wooden seats and backs. So we gave them the colors from this set of vintage books to choose from.
The Princess chose blue and Mr. B chose green. I thought that was funny since The Princess has a green room and Mr. B's is blue. The desktops are painted with chalkboard paint. The chalkboard on the wall also got a fresh coat of paint.

I also repainted their table and chair set. It has been used more that I could have ever imagined and had so many crayon marks and scratches on it. Plus I needed an excuse to paint something red!
You should have seen me painting this set in the backyard when our neighbors white dog jumped over the fence to come and play. Talk about pandemonium! LOL

So I think we're just about ready to start school on Monday. Not that I have any delusions that they are going to sit at these desks all day and do school work. I'm sure we'll be all over the house at times, but I'm looking forward to it!
(How do you think my state plates turned out around the top of the room? I like them!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...