Skip to main content

Menu Plan Monday: January 11th

Well, we are only one week into the *eat from the pantry* challenge and I already have quite the list started of things that we are out of. Granted, I don't stockpile so I didn't have massive resources to draw from for this challenge. But other than making a trip to the store for things like milk, butter and eggs, I'm hoping to hold out for another week before I do full-blown grocery shopping. This week I only sent Vince to the store once: for milk and for sausage--I thought I had some sausage, but was mistaken and I needed it for a certain recipe that I was making for my parents.

It has been SUPER cold here in the South lately, as in single digits!! Not that I'm complaining~I actually am enjoying being able to wear my sweaters/hats/scarves/coats outside without sweating:)) We haven't seen much in the way of real winters in the South for several years. I'm really hoping for some more snow! AND all of this cold weather put me in the mood for soups and old-fashioned comfort foods.

This morning we all stayed in from church. The Princess and I have been a little under the weather with some nasty coughs and we were all getting Vince off on another trip for the week. So I put out a request on Twitter and Facebook for some good chicken soup recipes. I got several great responses! I'm definitely saving them to try out soon. The one I ended up making for us today (because I had the ingredients) is from an Among Friends cookbook, Keeping Good Company. It turned out delicious! The *picky* kiddos even ate it pretty well.

Chicken Noodle Soup
(Among Friends: Keeping Good Company)
1/2 onion, peeled and diced
4 Tbls. butter
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
cooked and diced
(I only used a couple & that was plenty)
2 cups water
(I added a couple of chicken bullion cubes, too)
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
Poultry seasoning to taste
1 tsp. crushed sweet basil
1 bay leaf
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
(I used canned carrots)
4 ribs celery, sliced
8 oz. frozen egg noodles
(I used dried noodles)
6 oz. sugar snap peas
(I left these out~didn't have them)
*****
Saute onion in butter until limp. Add chicken pieces and cook an additional two minutes. Add remaining ingredients, with the exception of the noodles and snap peas. Simmer 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add noodles and bring to a boil. Cook until noodles are tender. Add peas and heat through. Serves 8-10.

I think I'll be making more soup this week, too. It's so yummy and filling and the kiddos have a few faves that are easy. What's your favorite soup?

Monday: Spaghetti & Meatballs
Tuesday: Pinto Beans & Ham with Cornbread
Wednesday: Baked Parmesan Talapia* , Baked Potatoes & a Veggie
Thursday: Turkey Pot Pie
Friday: Honey-Orange Glazed Ham Steaks*, Slow Cooker Roasted Potatoes* & a Veggie
Saturday: Tuna Casserole*

*Watch for recipes this week!


This post is linked to Menu Plan Monday at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

Comments

kalea_kane said…
Oh, turkey pot pie sounds like such a treat! Hope you are staying warm!

Kelly :)

(visiting from MPM)
Colie's Kitchen said…
Great menu plan monday!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love new ideas!! www.colieskitchen.com

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a