Skip to main content

Summer Reading

It's summertime and that's when I usually do a lot of pleasure reading. How about you?

While I've had my kiddos busily earning books, prizes, etc., with their summer reading programs I've been sneaking in a few good books, too.

First up: Jan Karon's latest, In the Company of Others. I really did enjoy this book and stayed up several nights in a row getting it finished. It was a bit more difficult of a read than her others, but I loved the *Irish-ness* of it and the very historical feel~I'm a history nerd, there's no other way around it.
I've also read Nicholas Sparks' book, The Guardian. I'm not really a fan of reading his books, although I have enjoyed some of the movies made from them. However, a friend had passed this one on to me and I thought I may as well read it, plus it did have an interesting plot outlined on the back cover. It turned out to be a good little mystery, seemingly different from his other books.
Stuart Little was a family read that we've just finished. We did enjoy Stuart's adventures a lot. It was our first time to read this book and I thought it had a bit of an abrupt ending, but overall it was a great book.


Currently, I am reading these next two books. One is non-fiction, the other fiction.

I have decided that I am a terrible online book club attender. I have such good intentions of keeping up and staying in touch with the group, but every time I've attempted it I've failed miserably. Oh well, I am continuing to read the book: The Ministry of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson. She's one of my fave authors and this is a re-read for me, but a worthy one.

My current fiction is by an all-time favorite author, Agatha Christie. It just doesn't get any better if you love mystery! She's the master of intriguing plots and I love her stories. This is the first time I've read Sad Cypress even though I've seen the film version. Of course, the book is always better.


What are you reading this summer? I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...