Skip to main content

Readying Our Learning Room

I've spent a good deal of time this weekend getting our *learning room* back in shape for our soon-to-start new school year.

The kids voluntarily offered to clean out their desks. I took them up on it right away, in case they changed their minds! So many old papers, etc., finally made it to the trashcan.

(our art tray and coloring basket)

My main goal was to rearrange the room though. Last year I had their desks very close to each other. And I'm sure that any parent with children two years apart will agree that this isn't a good idea. I'm not sure why I thought it was at the time. I think it was because the arrangement looked good. But if it really doesn't work, then it's really not good, is it?

Plus, we have a new pet mouse whose home is in that room and her place for the summer was not going to work for the fall. So rearranging was definitely in order.

Since (sadly) my kiddos are not using their little table & chairs set much anymore (I can't believe they're out-growing it), it has become Reepicheep the Mouse's spot. We moved it underneath the wall-mounted TV.

(Reepicheep's new spot under our vhs/dvd player)

The next thing was to separate the kiddos' desks. They were moved to opposite sides of the room (tiny though it is) and centered. This way they can easily be positioned toward the chalkboard or the vhs/dvd player.

(Mr. B's desk, baskets with children's magazines, art tray)

(The Princess' desk and our bookcases)

Here are Mr. B's vowel cards and handwriting chart, all ready to go. Directly below are his Shoebox Phonics games. These have really been fun for him and I plan to use them again this year, at least at the beginning.

(vowel cards, Shoebox Phonics games and our art tray)

Here is another view of our chalkboard area and art tray area.

(our toy chest~which holds play dough, musical instruments and puppets~
art/coloring things and our chalkboard)

Oh~and here is a peek inside the closet: there are lots of craft supplies, tons of games, more children's educational magazines, their keyboards and much, much more.

I still have a few little things I want to get finished before our first day. One thing in particular is to make a calendar and weather chart. I'd love to have something like this, but I don't want to order one. I plan to make one using some downloads I've found. I promise to share all about it when I'm finished.
Not Back to School Blog Hop

Comments

Carrie said…
Lora, Your room is lovely!!! It has a calm, yet cheerful feel to it! You've done a great job! ;)
Trina said…
Your room is so adorable!!! Love the wooded coke tray. Thanks so much for sharing, have a blessed week!!
Mom Guide said…
I like the coke tray storage box. Have a blessed school year.
Nichole said…
That's a lovely room! I love the art tray.
Joelle said…
I think you've done a great job. It's inviting and organized. I like it.
Joey said…
Love the art tray. I can totally relate to having the siblings sitting too close. :)
RockerMom said…
What a great use of the Coca-Cola crate! Your school room is so cheerful! Thanks for sharing..
Jamie said…
New follower here from Indiana,I want to say Hi and you have such a beautiful family.your classroom looks so cozy and comfy!!!Please feel free to stop and visit.
Wendi said…
I love the chalkboard area...the repurposed coke container...the cool schooldesks ~ your room looks so pretty :)
Unknown said…
Looks great! Love the coke bottle crate, what a neat way to hold supplies. Have a great year!
Anna P said…
Wonderful space! i love the coke tray idea! i cant WAIT til my youngest is older so I can have stuff like that out without him making a total mess of it (he's 2 and the only boy out of my 5)...thanks for sharing!
Catherine said…
I love this room! Those little desks are fantastic, and you have made such pretty, personal touches all over the room. It looks great. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed school year!
Anonymous said…
I love your colors. Your is so warm and cozy.
MissMOE said…
Beautiful room! I love the plates on the wall and the colors you've used. Everything looks so organized.
JACQUELIN said…
What a great space you have, thanks for letting me take a peek inside. I love the organization and the warm colors. Have a great year!
z said…
Love this room!! Totally reminds me of my best friend's - make me miss her! Love it! Bookmarking your blog right now!
Renee said…
Love the way you used the coca-cola bottle holder!!
Anonymous said…
Love your schoolroom! Has such a quaint antique feeling :) Thanks for sharing.
Corrie said…
thanks for sharing your beautiful room! I love your art tray! Have a great year
Katy said…
You have a beautiful schoolroom and I love the coke tray! Such a neat idea! I wish you the best with your homeschooling year! :)
Thank you for participating! Lovely space...
Jessica said…
I love what you've done. Thanks for letting us glean some ideas!
Diane said…
I loved having a peak into your room! Thank you! Have a fantastic year!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left