26 May 2011

Baked Beans & Other Great Holiday Weekend Foods

I have to say that baked beans are one of my favorite foods. I grew up eating my mom's and her's are SO yummy. She taught me how to make them ages ago and I've recently realized that this is one dish that I don't even have a written recipe for. So in order to share it with you I actually measured (sort of) all of the ingredients, although it's entirely acceptable to modify it to your own tastes (I did).

My Fave Baked Beans
2 cans Pork & Beans
1 small onion, finely diced*
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 BBQ sauce
3 slices of bacon
*****
Empty the canned beans (removing the piece of fat) into a mixing bowl. Add in the onions,
brown sugar, ketchup and BBQ sauce. I recommend tasting it to see if you would like to add more ketchup or BBQ sauce. Also this is a great time to add in about a 1/2 lb. of cooked ground beef, if you'd like. My hubby loves it that way!
Pour the beans into a 8x8 baking dish. Cut the 3 slices of bacon in half, then lay them on top
of the beans in a row.
Bake, uncovered at 350F for 1 hour. Great served hot or room temperature! Delicious!!

*If your kids are like mine and freak out about onions (Please, God, let this phase pass!), then do what I do and put in a healthy 1-2 tsp of onion powder. It blends right in, but you still get that onion-y flavor in the beans.

It's Memorial Day weekend and you've probably got a get-together or two coming up, right? Us, too! Here are a few more of our favorite grill-out, picnic-type recipes:

Enjoy your weekend! And Happy Memorial Day to you!

1 comment:

brlracincwgrl said...

I'm making those Baked Beans this weekend! They look heavenly! Yum!