Skip to main content

The Tour Part 2: The Kiddos' Rooms

Some of you have mentioned wanting to see the loft beds that Vince built for the kiddos, so today I'm showing off their rooms. I took these a week or so ago and I've since added some more touches, but to take more pics would require cleaning them again...and that's just too much work! haha

The Princess' bed is something I would have loved when I was a little girl.

Her very own playhouse right inside her room! Vince got his inspiration from Pottery Barn Kids catalogs, did a little research online and then made his own *pattern*. I think he did an amazing job!! Inside there's room for her kitchen, her Barbie house and a few more treasures.
Now, I have to admit, changing the sheets on a loft or bunk bed is quite the feat! I'm sure I look hilarious laying prostrate on there trying to stretch the sheets across!! In fact, I crack up at myself:) But at least The Princess can make her own bed each morning and I don't have to climb up there every day.
This is her dresser. It actually belonged to my grandparents and is part of a set that I used from age 7 till I got married. I'm saving the bed and nightstand for her to use later on.
This little shelf has her mini tea set collection and all those Madame Alexander dolls she's collected from Mc Donald's.

I'm not very much into *themes*, unless you call eclectic a theme. I have decorated my children's rooms with antique mall finds, treasures from my childhood and their own found treasures. I think it's more interesting and personal that way.

Next is Mr. B's room. His bed was inspired by a room layout in an old Martha Stewart Kids magazine (remember those? I've kept everyone I ever bought! Miss them!). It was supposed to be a kind of tree house/platform style. I think Vince did a great job interpreting it!
In case you're wondering, there is a ladder built in at the foot of the bed--I realize it looks like he has to climb on from the side in this photo.

His bed isn't quite as high up, since he's a little smaller. However, there is still plenty of room underneath for lots of play. His train table fits great under there as do a couple of toy baskets.
He loves it under here!! I'm quite impressed with how nimble he has become with climbing, too!
These are some shots of Mr. B's room decor. I call it *eclectic patriotic*.
His room is pretty small and the only other real piece of furniture in there is the antique chest of drawers. Hanging above it is a silhouette of my dad as a boy. It's amazing how very much like my son this looks!

Tomorrow I'll show you the playroom/schoolroom....

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...