Skip to main content

Ahh....the Weekend

I'm so glad it's here! It's felt like a week and a half, for some reason. So I'm enjoying this Saturday morning with my coffee and Girl Scout cookies (the breakfast of champions, ya know), while my hubby catches up on his sleep (he just got home from his trip yesterday~yea!) and the kiddos chill out with some classic Disney.

Thank you so much to those of you who have been praying this week for my sister-in-law. I'd like to give you a good report: She spent a couple of days in ICU as they monitored her and managed the post-op pain, and then one more day in the neuro unit, but she was able to go home yesterday. We are so glad! By all indications and the doctor's report, her surgery was very successful. However the doctor did discover that her c-1 was not fully formed (from birth), so that has answered a lot of questions for her. She has about 4 more weeks of recovery time at home where she will need to really take it easy, but we are believing that will go smoothly and she will feel like a new person by the end of that time.

This week at my house has not been uneventful either. I had all these things that I had planned to do while Vince was out of town, but I don't think I even got one completed.

The week began with Mr. B getting some kind of a 24-hr stomach bug: fever and nausea. That went away, but by Wednesday it was obvious that he had picked up pinkeye somewhere~ugh. Thankfully, I already had a prescription for just that thing, so just a phone call to our doctor's nurse to confirm that was all we needed. (I'm doing my best to avoid the doctor's office during the *sick season*, those waiting rooms can be lethal). But, bless his little heart, yesterday he woke up with hives. At first I didn't realize what was happening, because he has super sensitive skin and I thought it might be dryness causing him to scratch. But by noon the hydro-cortisone cream had worn off and he was covered from head to toe in hives. We just happened to be out having lunch with my mom and sister when that happened. My sweet sis ran across the street to buy him some Benadryl cream so that we could all finish our lunch. Because there was going to be no lunch with his crazy scratching! :) That has seemed to do the trick and he is much better this morning, but I've determined it had to be the bar of Dial that I washed him with the night before. Normally I use Cetephil on him, but I was out and used the other in a pinch. Never again!

Hopefully that third thing was the last *medical* event for him for the week~they say things come in 3's, right? Because I am looking forward to a quiet day at home with my family (although I think that's probably an oxymoron~ha!).

What have you got planned for the weekend?


I'm so happy your sister in law is doing so much better. Praise the Lord! I know it must have been scary.

The hives are no fun. I've been there too many times. Bless his heart.Spring is almost here. Hooray
Lisa said…
Oh, I hope you have an uneventful week this week. Poor Bennett!

You reminded me of the time Zoe had hives. She was 3 and woke up from her nap with what looked like huge mosquito bites (it was summertime). I thought, "Yuck, there's a mosquito in the house." But every couple of minutes she'd have more and more huge welps! It really freaked me out. Turns out, she was breaking out due to infections in her tonsils and the tonsillectomy (sp?) was scheduled immediately. I had no idea at the time that that hives were even possible due to infections! We live and learn!

Popular posts from this blog

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Fun With 4th of July Crafts: Part 3

I love my new patriotic front door wreath!! I had fun putting this together, although I must admit this is more of an adult craft than one for kiddos. I was inspired by this article in Family Fun magazine. I didn't have quite everything I needed for this one, but all I had to purchase was a few sheets of scrapbook paper and some double-sided tape. Then all I had to gather up were some scissors, regular Scotch tape, a ruler and some cardboard. First I cut four (5"x 6") pieces of each paper. Then by placing a piece of double-sided tape on one of the short ends of the papers, I rolled them into cones, pressing the seams together well. Then I cut a 10" circle out of cardboard and began to stick the cones on it. I used another piece of double-sided tape to stick the cones on, arranging them in a circular pattern. Next I used regular Scotch tape to attach them on the back to the back of the cardboard. After getting all the cones on, I was ready for my centerpiece. He