Skip to main content

Pure Comfort: Beef and Noodles with Popovers

Tonight we tried a new recipe from blog friend Kayren via blog friend Betsy. It was so yummy and a huge hit with us all! It wasn't anything new for Vince or me, we've eaten similar dishes, but I'd never made it for us and I don't think the kiddos had eaten this particular dish. It was perfect for a winter night! Plus the popovers we had to go with it were the perfect touch, they soaked up all that delicious broth so well....mmmmm

Beef and Noodles
3 lbs beef stew meet, cut in 1" cubes
1 onion, chopped (or use some onion powder)
4 T butter
10 cups of water
8 tsp Beef Soup Base
24 oz wide egg noodles
Brown stew meat and onions in butter in a large stock pot. Cover with 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours.
Take out the meat and set aside. Add soup base and noodles. Cook until noodles are tender. Return meat to the pot with the noodles and check seasonings. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve once the meat is reheated. It usually doesn't take long.

(Martha Stewart)
2 tbsp. butter, melted
2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, slightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 450F. Butter and lightly flour a popover pan or a muffin tin (very important step!). Set pan(s) aside.
Whisk together the butter, milk, flour and salt until smooth. Whisk in the beaten eggs, a bit at a time, until incorporated. Do not overbeat the batter; it should have the consistency of heavy cream.
Fill the prepared dished 3/4 full with the batter. Bake 15 minutes. Then without opening the oven, lower the heat to 350F and continue baking popovers 15-20 minutes longer. When you take them out of the oven use a fork or a knife to prick a hole in the top of each to release the steam inside. Serve hot.
These are wonderful served with breakfast or dinner!


Kayren said…
Glad you enjoyed it! I never have broth, or sauce, to sop up. I actually have to add water to cover my noodles usually, even after that 10 cups! I must be an over-simmerer.

You probably had leftovers for today, lucky you! This was the recipe doubled from Betsy's original. I had to just to have enough for my whole crew, but your little people are still little, so I'll bet you had plenty for dinner tonight too.
Yes, we just had some for lunch! And I think there might be a couple more bowls left:) I probably should have halved it..ha

I was impressed with that soup base, too. It made a very rich broth!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a