Skip to main content

Menu Plan Monday


Well, I didn't make it around to planning last week. We took a little trip to Nashville for my hubby's birthday and the rest of the week was so busy that there was no use in planning to cook. I'm back this week though! I really am getting into the menu planning and I miss it when I don't do it-ha!

Just a few notes on my last menu plan though: the apricot chicken was pretty good, although I have finally decided that I just don't like Onion Soup Mix in anything. I think it would've been much better had I left it out (like I always think about everything that I put that mix in:). And the chicken & tortilla dumplings were good, but not so good that I would make them again. I think I've finally worked up enough courage to make my mom's recipe. I don't know about you, but if it's something wonderful that Mom makes I'm always *afraid* to try it. I think I may butcher it and I'd rather just let her continue making it. However, since we now live two states away from my parents, I don't get her good cookin' very often anymore *sigh*.

So having said all that....here's the plan for this week:

Monday: leftovers from Sunday (pot roast, carrots & potatoes, corn and peas)

Tuesday: veggie fritatta with salad

Wednesday: (meal at church)

Thursday: Small group at our house with an Italian-themed dinner (everyone contributes, I just set the theme). I'm making Incredible Cavatini for a Crowd (recipe below) and those deliciously evil Apple Dumplings that everyone in the blogosphere is raving about .

Friday: Sunday School Class Girls Nite Out at the Texas Roadhouse

Saturday: yet to be determined


Incredible Cavatini for a Crowd
Among Friends: Keeping Good Company
1 lb. ground beef

1 lb. mild ground pork sausage

1 onion, chopped

8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced

1 (3.5 oz.) pkg. pepperoni slices, chopped

1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic

1 (28 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce (any style you like)

1 (16 oz.) jar mild salsa

1 (16 oz.) pkg. shell macaroni, cooked and drained

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese

********************

Cook ground beef, sausage, and onion together until meat is done. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are limp. Drain well; set aside. Combine the next five ingredients with meat. Spoon half of this pasta mixture into two lightly greased (11x7x1 1/2") baking dishes; sprinkle with half of the Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes; top with remaining cheeses; bake 5 minutes longer.

This recipe will serve 12-15 people or it can be prepared in 3 separate casserole dishes, freezing two extra before baking. To serve the frozen dishes, thaw in refrigerator the day before, then let stand at room temperature 30 minutes and bake as directed above.

I've made this before with absolutely delicious results--and no leftovers! I'll try to take a picture this time and post it.

Have a wonderful week! Oh--and definitely check out all of the other great menu plans at Laura's I'm an Organizing Junkie.

Comments

Hi, Lora,

Thanks for sharing your menu. This is my first time participating and I'm really enjoying seeing what everyone else is planning for their families.

I've felt the same way about making my mom's recipes. In fact, I did butcher one once, but called her and found out what I did wrong, fixed it and now am glad that I have it my recipe box. I want to be able to recall the memories of growing up long after she's moved on.

God bless you.

Reese
Alene said…
Thanks for the recipe. And those apple dumplings look scrumptous. If I didn't already have my menu planned for tonight - I'd be cooking this! hmm hmm good.
Blessings.

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left