Skip to main content

A Whole Lot of Rambling On and On and On.....

Well, I'd planned to do a *weekend recap* post, but now it's Tuesday and, well, the weekend is a distant memory. I really thought things were going to slow down a little when summer came--what was I thinking?!? Those lazy hazy days of summer are so over for me apparently.



I did have a great time this past weekend visiting with my friend Nancy. We've actually gotten to see each other twice this year. Usually its once every few years or so. She was visiting her parents, who live in my state, so we met at a park in a centrally-located city and enjoyed some time visiting and letting our children play together. Our daughters are probably a lot like we were playing together at those ages.



Now...I'm busy planning my son's birthday party for this weekend, getting ready for my parents to come this weekend, getting ready for my sister-in-law and her hubby to come next week, and training my replacement as the nursery director at our church.

I'm really glad to be wrapping up my commitment to the nursery. It has had it's fun and rewarding moments, but it's also been very time-consuming and stressful. I must say that doing this job for just a few months has reminded me of all the reasons that I LOVE being a stay-at-home mom. Even though this job has only been part-time, it has taken so much time from my kiddos. I'm looking forward to having that time back. I've learned a lot though and have gotten to know some great people, so I definitely won't count it as time wasted. Oh--and the paychecks were great, too!:)

Something I've been considering lately is coming up with a daily schedule for my family--you know, one on paper and not just in my head. I do LOVE lists and calendars, so schedules are right up my alley. Not that I want to super-structure our days, but I think it would help me not to waste time doing pointless stuff so that we can have more time to have fun together. Some days I feel like I've wasted so much time doing a whole lot of nothing and then I'm rushed to get the important stuff done--which creates unnecessary stress for my family. Does that ever happen to any of you? Please tell me I'm not the only one. If your family has a daily schedule, please tell me about it and how it helps you!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Lora, what a great post. I am glad you are released from the nursery ministry too. I have trouble staying on a schedule, no matter how hard I try. I am sure you can pull it off though! I can't wait for Bennett Lee's birthday party! I have wrapping presents scheduled for Friday morning! :P CU soon! Hope to see Family Krusade pics soon!

Oh, did you ever check out that blog? She left a comment on my page today! She seems awesome, and is a home school mom!
Nancy said…
Hey! It was great to see you and the kiddos. Thanks for posting the pics...I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully soon.

Schedules...Hmm...I guess we have sort of a loose schedule. It's more of an "order of events." You know, wake, breakfast, get dressed, play, Levi's nap, etc... I do have a "schedule" for myself for housekeeping stuff...Monday: Clean house and groceries, Tuesday: finish cleaning (I usually only get the upstairs or downstairs done on Monday), Wednesday: laundry, Thursday is usually "special project" day (or some sort of outing, or catching up on what didn't get done Mon-Wed), then Friday is "fun day" which usually includes a play date or special outing, then dinner out with Steve for Family Night. Of course, all of that is subject to change for dr appts, travel, company, etc. But it gives me something to start from. Hope that helps.
Kelli said…
We are expecting company for a few weeks but after that I'd like to write down a loose morning schedule, so that we don't waste the whole day. I always think the summer days will be long and carefree too and then somehow they get filled up. :0)
~Kelli
Kari said…
Mom and I were talking about how much the girls looked like the pictures of you and Nancy, too. =)

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a