Skip to main content

Blueberry Pie

Blueberry Pie
recipe from Susan Branch

piecrust dough for a 2-crust 8" pie
4 cups blueberries (if frozen, no need to thaw)
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 Tbls. flour
pinch of salt
squeeze of a fresh lemon
1 Tbls. butter

Preheat oven to 425F. Make the piecrust and use half to line an 8" pie plate.
In a large bowl mix sugar, flour and salt; add blueberries and a squeeze if a fresh lemon.
Mix well. Pour mixture into pie pan and dot evenly with butter pats. Cover with top
crust, trim edges--fold them under and crimp the edges. Cut vents in top.
Bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 325F and bake 40 minutes or until top is brown.
This is delicious with vanilla ice cream!

If you don't already have your own favorite pie crust recipe, you've got to try this one:

Easy Pie Crust
from Martha Stewart Living Everyday Food

1.) Mix 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 tsp. each salt and sugar in a medium size bowl. Cut 2 sticks unsalted butter into pieces. With a pastry blender, cut in butter, working until mixture resembles coarse meal.

2.) Add 4 Tbls. ice water; work with hands until dough comes together. If dough is still crumbly, add more ice water 1 Tbls. at a time (up to 4 more Tbls.). Do not overwork.

3.) Divide dough in half, and flatten halves into disks. Wrap disks separately in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour. Then use as needed or these can also be frozen.

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...