Skip to main content

We Love Our National Parks!

This past weekend we had the opportunity to visit another one of our national parks: Cumberland Gap National Historic Park. I visited there as a child with my parents years ago~I think I was the age that The Princess is now~and remembered how beautiful it was.

Since my last visit there however, they have made a lot of improvements, including building a beautiful new visitor center. We all had a lot of fun exploring their displays and browsing in their gift shop. They even had these adorable little Junior Ranger uniforms for sale. I would've bought a couple of them just for fun if they hadn't been $40, but I did get Mr. B to try on a hat for a quick photo. Isn't he cute?:)

We had a lovely day to visit, it was actually under 100F! We didn't start sweating till late in the afternoon...lol

While enjoying our picnic beside a mountain creek we got to see a host of swallowtail butterflies flying around over the water. They would cluster on the rocks beside the creek~they were beautiful!
Next we walked to the top of Pinnacle Overlook and drank in the gorgeous views. The Appalachian Mountains are truly beautiful!



We enjoyed learning more about the history that has happened here. For instance, I had no idea that Daniel Boone forged the Wilderness Road through here in 1775~one year before the Declaration of Independence! The culture in these mountains is so different. I can see how it would take a very tough breed of people to survive those early years of settlement here.

The kiddos brought along their nature journals, of course, and had fun adding some new pictures to them.



The last thing we did before leaving the park was to hike to the Tri-State Peak. I really wanted photos of us standing in three states at once: Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. I just didn't know I was going to have to hike 1.2 miles uphill (and then 1.2 miles back down again, of course) to get those shots! But it was worth it~at least I decided it was after huffing and puffing all the way up. I seriously need to get into better shape! And did I mention that those cooler temps were long gone by this time of our day? Yeah, I don't know when I've sweated so much...thank goodness for air-conditioned vehicles:)




It was definitely a memorable visit that we all enjoyed. And, as always, when we visit at National Park site the kiddos participate in the Junior Ranger program. If you haven't done this with your children, I highly recommend it. Just ask at the front desk of the visitor center at any national park site about this program. Your children will receive a workbook to be completed as you see the various sites around the park. (Generally they don't require them to complete the entire book, as there are varied exercises according to grade levels). When your visit is over just drop back by the visitor center to show that they have completed at least part of the exercises during their visit. Your kiddos will be rewarded with a certificate and also a Junior Ranger badge from that park. My kids have earned 6 of them now, I think. They're pretty proud of them! And the workbooks are great to keep. I always enjoy working through them with the kids because I inevitably learn something that I didn't know about the park. Oh~and they also have a Web Rangers program on their site that we are going to check out, too.

We really do love our National Parks!

Comments

RedBettySummer said…
Oh, too cool! What a great trip. We are big national parks fans, too. Maybe I'll blog about our adventures some day. I hope to get the kiddos on another roadtrip before they all leave our happy home. Thanks for sharing about your day.
Kathy said…
gorgeous photos! Wow, the beauty of God's creation is breathtaking! =)
Darla said…
Your photos are gorgeous! I love hiking state/national parks, too. I'll have to look into the Junior Ranger program.
Unknown said…
great pictures! Reminds me of the hiking we did this weekend. I followed you here from the Homeschool Hop
Jenilee said…
very cool trip and gorgeous pictures! what a worthwhile place to go! I love trips like that and our girls always love that kind of family time! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a