Skip to main content

Homemade Spaghetti-o's

I love it when I can make something from scratch that we formerly purchased processed. I do still purchase a few processed foods (mostly things like rice mixes or canned veggies), but I have greatly reduced those buys.

One thing I hadn't stopped buying until now has been Spaghetti-o's (usually the generic label). My kids love them~I don't~but they are an easy lunch. However, thanks to Pinterest (love!) I have found a great little recipe for a homemade version. I made it yesterday and it was a hit! I even liked them:) If your kids like Spaghetti-o's, try these. You'll feel much better about what you're serving your kids.

Homemade Spaghetti-o's
(adapted from this post)

1 large (28 oz.) can tomato sauce (smooth)
4 cups water (I actually left this out to make a thicker sauce)
1 garlic clove, minced (I used garlic powder)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
14 oz. small ringed pasta
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
*****
Pour tomato sauce into saucepan. You can add the water now, if you are using it.
Add garlic, pepper, salt and sugar.
Heat on medium heat until sauce simmers, stirring often.
In the meantime, cook the pasta until al dente; drain. Add the butter to the pasta.
Add the milk and cheese to the sauce, stirring to melt the cheese.
Finally, add the pasta to the sauce, mixing well.
Serve to the kiddos and watch them smile!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...