Skip to main content

Talking About Apologia


We just recently completed our third year of using Apologia's Exploring Creation... series for elementary for our science curriculum.  And we love it!  We first began using this (as a family subject) when The Princess was in 2nd grade and Mr. B was in K5--and I wish I had discovered it even sooner.

We began first with Exploring Creation with Astronomy, then the next year moved on to Exploring Creation with Botany, and this year we began zoology with Exploring Creation with Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day. Next year we'll begin Exploring Creation with Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day.  



There are many reasons that I like Apologia. Just a few are: 
  1. It is biblically sound and has scripture throughout the lessons as well as points to the intelligent design of creation.
  2. It has fun and relevant activities and experiments suggested throughout the book.
  3. It digs in deep to a particular subject and you learn so much.
  4. It's a subject that works well for multiple grades, thus allowing us to do this together as a family.



I know sometimes there are concerns about spending a whole year on only one topic, but we find that we enjoy really diving in and learning all that we can about that topic.  It gives us a whole year to do special projects, take related field trips, and do more activities that relate as well.  And having a longer time period to learn about the topic at hand gives it more of an opportunity to really "sink in" and take root.  I love it when the kids can still recall things they learned in astronomy over 2 years ago and in botany over a year ago.  



The corresponding journals can also be fun, although we haven't used them every single year.  We did use the journals for astronomy and flying creatures--each time the kids shared one journal and I divided the pages and projects between them.  We made our own botany journals however and that was fun, too.  Sometimes the journal pages can seem like "busy work" though and the kiddos get weary with them.  I don't want them to dread them and am considering doing a year without any journal.  I think that may also give us more time to do the extra activities and experiments suggested which would be a lot of fun for us all.

Some of the related activities that we enjoyed this year were:
  • visiting and learning about the wild birds at our local nature center
  • making our own bird feeder
  • having a feeder set up for a viewing station
  • looking at slides of flying insects on our microscope
  • having pet crickets for a while to study

This week you can check out the Apologia Year-End Round Up with lots of other Apologia users over at My Joy Filled Life.  Sarah will be posting all week about how others are using Apologia.  Drop by and check out what others have to say about it!



If you're a homeschooler, too, I'd love to hear if you use Apologia and what you think of it--or tell me about what science curriculum you do use and why you love it.


*****
Don't miss a thing here at My Blessed Life!
Subscribe, Follow, & "Like" today!


Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...