Skip to main content

End-of-the-Week Wrap {the Star Wars edition}

(view from our 15th floor hotel room)

We just returned last night from a short trip to Indianapolis.  Vince and I were attending a ministers' conference hosted by our ministerial fellowship there and we took the kiddos with us (since my parents and sister, aka: our babysitters, were all there, too!).  I'm glad we made it a family trip though, it was really a wonderful time!

While the conference did keep us busy (and it was SO good!), we also had a little time for a family outing and a little walking around the heart of the downtown.  There is a beautiful circle drive downtown with a monument called "Soldiers & Sailors".  Our hotel was just a block off of the circle and thus the lovely view posted above.  We enjoyed exploring a little as we walked from the hotel to restaurants during our time there.  

(a night view)

(with the kiddos)

Before we left on our trip I did a little research as to what would be the most fun attraction not too far from the hotel that we could do with the kiddos on our one full afternoon there.  And we decided on the Star Wars exhibit now showing at the Indiana State Museum.  We're all big Star Wars fans, as you may know.  

(a lovely museum)


This exhibit is called Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination and it is a truly wonderful museum exhibit!  It cost a bit more that we would normally pay for museum entrance, but we chose to splurge on this one-time special event.  And I'm so glad we did!  The kids were thrilled--to say the least!  We didn't tell them beforehand where we were going, just that we had a fun family afternoon planned.  When we pulled up and they started to see the banners for the exhibit, they were nearly speechless with excitement.  Of course, the speechlessness didn't last long.  

(with a Jawa and a Rebel pilot)


The exhibit is filled with actual props, models, and costumes from all six movies (yeah, pretty fun, huh?!) and mixed among all of that are some great hands-on science activities that correlated with different parts of the movies' effects.  


 
(using Legos and magnets to build hover crafts)




(posing with lots of real movie costumes--
they even had the actual Yoda puppet from movies 5 & 6!!)





(in the "Millennium Falcon")

At the end of our visit there we took a "ride" in the "Millennium Falcon".  Actually, it was just a recreation of the cockpit where you sat and watch a short film on flying through space (and, of course, going into hyper-drive!).  Very fun!  

If you're anywhere near Indianapolis this summer, the exhibit will be on through September 2nd.  You just might want to check it out.  

And that wraps up our week.  We now return to our regularly scheduled program: laundry and cleaning.


*****
Don't miss a thing here at My Blessed Life!
Subscribe, Follow, & "Like" today!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat ...

One Way I Refresh During the Summer as a Homeschool Mom

As our homeschool takes some time off this summer, my mind almost never stops thinking of and planning ahead for the upcoming school year.  This is probably because I'm Type A and an obsessive planner...lol Whatever the reason, I do enjoy this season of planning.   But I also need to be refreshed as a homeschool mom.  Homeschooling can be incredibly exhausting and all-consuming.  It's not easy and it's a lot of responsibility.  And I take that very seriously when I am researching curriculum and planning toward the next school year.  So also taking some time to rejuvenate and refocus myself is very important.   How do I do this?   Each summer I take some time to read something inspiring and motivating that speaks to me as a homeschool mom.  Some of my fave reads from past years--that I have nearby on my shelf and refer to often--are Educating the Wholehearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, The Charlotte Mason Companion, A T...

Arkansas' Crimson Clover

One of my favorite things about Spring is the crimson clover that grows along the highways and interstates here in Arkansas. I say Arkansas because this is where I first grew to love it. We actually saw some in Mississippi on our way here and I saw it in our town in Alabama for the first time this year. But it spreads like that, each year it grows and looks even more beautiful. I'm not sure who decided to plant it in the medians of the interstates , but it was genius! It seeds itself and just comes back more lush the next year. I always want to take pictures, but of course it's almost always in the median of a very busy interstate~which is a little dangerous for photography. However, the other day I found the perfect patch of it on the side of a not-too-busy highway, so Vince obliged me and pulled over:) Isn't it beautiful? I just had to share it with you...