Skip to main content

The Weekly Wrap-Up: Mars, Volcanoes and SNOW!

Whew! We made it through a very full week of catching up and getting back to routine. Overall it went very well. I was proud of how hard my kiddos worked.

Being in someone else's household makes it much more of a challenge to create your own routine. Plus right now we do not have a separate *Learning Room* {sigh} which means that wherever we are there are new distractions. This week was spent mostly at the dining room table~which was great for a workplace, but also in a heavy-traffic area. I am considering moving our school area upstairs to a quiet bedroom next week. That means more work and set-up for me, but it will probably be worth it. I'm sure having us disrupting their routine has been a challenge for my parents as well:)

Character Sketches:
This month we are learning about *Determination*. I just love the different definitions that our study gives, they are always so applicable to our lives.

Language Arts:
The Princess worked super hard in her grammar lessons this week and completed her first workbook and reader in her 2nd grade Horizons curriculum~yea!!
Mr. B started a new grammar workbook, learning consonant letter blends. He's also nearly finished with his third reader for the year. Even though it's hard to get him to sit and read to me, he's doing so well reading!

Math:
The Princess had to really get back into the groove with math this week. She's either on or off with math and she did fairly well this week, but it was a challenge for her to get her head back into it.
Mr. B finished his first math workbook in his K5 Horizons curriculum this week.
They are also both working in a couple of extra workbooks from The Critical Thinking Co. that they are enjoying. I'll be reviewing those for you soon!

History:
This week we were learning about ancient Africa~very interesting! We all love The Story of the World books!
Science:
We are learning about Mars right now with our Apologia Astronomy study (have I mention that I love their books?). We have had a lot of fun with that this week!

First off Mr. B made his very own Lego Mars Rover, of which he was very proud:)
Then one day we made *edible* Mars rovers from cookies and frosting~very fun and yummy!
Our final project for the week was a re-creation of Olympic Mons--the largest volcano in our solar system which is found on Mars. This was a lot of fun! I've always thought that making a volcano would be fun, but for some reason I never did it when I was in school, so I really had a great time with the kiddos this week making this. They loved it! Although I think they may have been a bit disappointed that it didn't spew all over the room...heehee






And that's a wrap on our school week!
Did I mention that we also had a lovely snow day in there, too? That was a lot of fun~my kiddos are crazy about sledding:) I'll leave you with a little video of some sledding fun:


This post is linked to The Weekly Wrap-up at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

Comments

Love your blog! Looks you had a fun and busy week. Love your edible mars rovers!! We love studying about Africa, especially the Anansi stories (we use Story of the World, too). Our library has a great audio book by, I think it's James Norfolk, on Anansi stories - it's my kids' favorite. Oh and I love your term "learning room" - we used to school all over the house, but this weekend I finally turned our basement into a school room because I was getting worn out running all over to help everyone. Now I'll have them coraled into one place :) And I like the idea of calling it a learning room. Thanks for sharing your week!
Joelle said…
I love your projects. Looks like a great week of learning!

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a