Skip to main content

End-of-the-Week Wrap-Up {pumpkin week!}


I'm calling this 'Pumpkin Week' because it is during this week of the year that we usually have our annual family 'Pumpkin Night', go trick-or-treating, and have some good fall fun.  

We kicked the week of with the "official" Pumpkin Night on Monday.  We ate some of my husband's delicious chili, carved pumpkins, roasted pumpkin seeds, and watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".  My parents and sister came over and we all had a lot of fun!  


School this week was all over the place!  Again ...so  thankful for the flexibility of homeschooling!  

We had a few interruptions, such as a funeral visitation and service, meetings, a stomach bug, etc...  But we continued on and had a fairly productive week.  And next week is a new week, right?  Thank goodness!  

The Princess finished her book for October (she is required to read one mom approved book for a book report each month).  This month she chose Mary Poppins.  She did not enjoy it :)  It was a good learning experience for her--that sometimes we don't enjoy a book.  Especially when there's a beloved movie made off of it that is apparently nothing like it.  She is happy to move on to a new read for November!



We have been enjoying some beautiful weather here in Kentucky lately.  We just recently had a few good frosts so the leaves have really been turning.  The trees are absolutely stunning around here right now!  I'm hoping to get a chance to go for a fun fall drive with my camera this week sometime.

We did have one very nasty day of weather this week though--on October 31st.  So the trick-or-treating was delayed until Friday night.  We had lots of fun though!  On the nasty weather night we cozy-ed up at home with pizza, homemade party mix, and a family movie.  Then on Friday night we headed over to my parents' neighborhood (a trick-or-treater's haven!) for the kiddos to get their fill of candy.  I stayed at my parents' house and handed out candy to all of the kiddos.  It was lots of fun!


"Reporter Lois Lane, Marty McFly, and Doc Brown"


This weekend brought early Christmas gifts for the kids--new loft beds (which we had no place to hide, thus becoming "early" gifts!).  So we have been working off and on all weekend to rearrange their rooms and also give them a good cleaning in the meantime.  I like that!  

We are moving their desks out of our learning room and into their own rooms.  I think it's going to be a good move.  They are constantly getting on each other's nerves, bugging each other, you know ...the usual brother/sister stuff.  But.it.is.driving.me.crazy.  I'm hoping this new arrangement will make things more peaceful around our home.  I'll post pics of the new set up soon!

And that wraps up our week ...finally!  

This post is linked to Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.  

*****
Subscribe by email today and never miss a thing here at My Blessed Life!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left